Welcome to my blog! My name is Lynn and I am a former student loan collector. For over a decade I collected on thousands of accounts for the Department of Education and several FFELP guarantee agencies. I also collected on Perkins and tuition accounts for several major universities. Eventually I a career jump...I became a Financial Aid Officer for a major Big 10 University. Along with awarding financial aid and advising students, I specialized in Default Prevention and Resolution. I am also a frequent contributor and moderator on several online forums.

I have gained very specialized knowledge and skills over the years having worked both side of the student loan field. It really bothers me that there are several companies, individuals, and so-called organizations that will change you hard earned money for information that is readily available free on the web. One "rogue" collector wants to charge $50 for a book and CD's for "secret information". Other organizations will attempt to charge you hundreds of dollars for a Direct Loan Consolidation application which is and always has been, free at the Direct Loan Consolidation website. I will be blogging about student loan collections and simple tips to help you manage your current or defaulted student loans. Have a basic question? I am more than happy to answer it! For free! However if you need more extensive help, I am more than happy to help you at very affordable rates!

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Department of Education Collection Agencies

These are the current collection agencies who hold contracts with the Department of Education.
Yearly these agencies have to re-bid for collection rights. Part of the process involves the agencies being graded on the their work for the previous year. They are ranked on total collections, total number of rehabilitated accounts, total number of federally consolidated accounts and complaints.

Complaints concerning collection activities is a huge factor in determining whether or not an agency will be awarded a new contract. Now, keep in mind that the Department of Ed receives a lot of complaints, most of which are not valid. They receive a lot of complaints that the collection agency is garnishing their wages, calling a third party to locate them, work calls, weekend calls, collection fees, taxes being offset and payments being too high. These are not valid complaints UNLESS they are in violation of the FDCPA or the Higher Education Act.





Progressive Financial Services
P. O. Box 24098
Tempe, AZ 85285
(800) 745-2345
Collecto, Inc. dba Collection Company of America
P. O. Box 5369
Norwell, MA 02061-5369
(800) 896-4539
Allied Interstate, Inc.
P. O. Box 26190
Minneapolis, MN 55426
(800) 715-0395
Pioneer Credit Recovery, Inc.
P. O. Box 228
Arcade, NY 14009
(888) 287-0317
NCO
P.O. Box 4929
Trenton, NJ 08650-4929
(888) 475-6741
The CBE Group, Inc.
P.O. Box 930
Waterloo IA 50704-0930
(800) 410-8089
Diversified Collection Services, Inc.
P.O. Box 9049
Pleasanton, CA 94566-9049
(888) 335-6267
Premiere Credit of North America, LLC
P.O. Box 19289
Indianapolis, IN 46219
(888) 744-2602
CollectCorp
P. O. Box: 960
Phoenix, Arizona 85001
(877) 719-7015
GC Services
P. O. Box 27346
Knoxville, TN 37927
(877) 244-7901
Account Control Technology, Inc.
P. O. Box 11750
Bakersfield, CA 93389-1750
(866) 887-2800
West Asset Management, Inc.
P. O. Box 105668
Atlanta, GA 30348-5668
(888) 327-2305
FMS Investment Corp.
P.O. Box 1423
Elk GroveVillage, IL. 60009-1423
(877) 291-8405
ConServe
P.O. Box 457
Fairport, NY 14450-0190
(866) 633-7945
Financial Asset Management Systems, INC. (FAMS)
P.O. Box 451437
Atlanta, GA 31145-1437
(888) 680-4326
Collection Technology, Inc.
P.O. Box 2036
Monterey Park, CA 91754
(800) 620-4284
Van Ru Credit Corporation
P. O. Box 1027
Skokie, IL 60076-8027
(888) 337-8331
Delta Management Associates, Inc.
P.O. Box 9192
Chelsea, MA
02150-9192
(866) 441-1957
Immediate Credit Recovery Inc.
P.O. Box 965363
Marietta, GA 30066
(866) 401-7190
Coast Professional, Inc.
P.O. Box 2899
West Monroe, LA 71294
(800) 964-0881
National Recoveries
P.O. Box 48367
Minneapolis, MN 55448
(877) 221-9729
Enterprise Recovery Systems, Inc.
P.O. Box 5288
Oak Brook, IL 60522
(888) 377-5000
Windham Professionals, Inc.
P.O. Box 400
East Aurora, NY 14052
(877) 719-4440

20 comments:

  1. I am wondering how to avoid my federal and state refund check being taken for a student loan that was turned over to collection, which is allied interstate. what can i do to keep me refund this year. would payments monthly solve the issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi -
    Is Immediate Credit Recovery a valid company to offer default rehabilitation through the Reasonable and Affordable Rehabilitation Program? Is there a downside to this program?

    Thank you for your advice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ICR is a Department of Education authorized collection agency so if you have been assigned to them, you have no other option but to work with them.

    Reasonable and affordable is a term used in the Higher Education Act. There is no program named by this. Reasonable and affordable refers to the payment arrangement you would make to qualify for rehab. Your payment needs to be affordable based on your income and reasonable based on your balance. A standard rehab payment is 1% of your balance so if you owe say, $17,000, standard rehab payment would be $170. Under reasonable and affordable, a $100 would work wereas a $50 payment probably would not. (A payment of $50 would not even be covering the interest.)
    In my opinion is there is no downside to rehab and over the course of my collect career, I rehabilitated hundreds of accounts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My name is Frank and I am new to Bloging. I dont know if this is how to respond. I have a defaulted Student Loan that is now with a new collection company. I have been paying I thought directly to the Dept of Ed, but they told me they havent recieved a payment in 2 yrs. I am an Active duty service member so the monthly payments come directly from the Army DFAS on my behalf. The new collection company said they have nothing to do with any of that and they are calling for me to pay now or else?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lynn Thank You for your Blog. Question, i was attending community college and my student loans were still defferred for quiet a while but i didnt attend for 2 full semesters, I am enrolling for Jan 2013 term again. Coast Professional is telling me that i cannot qualify again for defferrment again even if i am fulltime or partime because i didnt attend for 2 semesters..and want me to start paying. Is this correct? I thought that as long as I am enrolled in school i can request for my student loan to be defferred. Please let me know what you think. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My problem with these repayments programs are the high fees that they charge. My son loan is 7k and they are charging him 2k in fees. That is another 1/3 being added to loan to bring it up to 10k.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I've recently been contact by FMS to collect on my student loan, apparently, I've been in default for 1 year. But, I've been in school the whole time and assumed my account was deferred. The US Dept. of Education can't discuss my account, since it's been passed to FMS and all FMS wants is to set up payment arrangements. What should I do?

    ReplyDelete
  8. my problem is I paid for over a year with another company then they switched me to Conserve who totally made me start from square one, which in turn caused them to be able to garnish my income tax. so sick of these places. I was in good standing until being switched over to Conserve.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So ICR contacted me... made arrangements over the phone, based on their estimate, of $226/month, which is over the 1% of what I owe, typical for rehabilitating these loans, but I agreed. Then they raised it to almost $300, using some income I have no idea about, and definitely NOT the 2 sequential paystubs they required I submit. Now the letter they want me to sign to agree, has it at $397/month, still using an income figure almost $1000/month higher than I make. They said I only claimed one in household, not my spouse, so I had to resubmit the paperwork. 4 days later, they send me another agreement letter with the same unchanged $397. I cannot afford this and I will file bankruptcy on it. They are DENSE and not putting 2 and 2 together. Yes, I cannot discharge the loan, but then my other creditors get the shaft. I am sure they don't care as long as they get theirs, but their expense verification does not include anything but basic expenses. Any other bills/expenses recurring monthly like credit and loans, they ignore.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Had a person call me from this web site they asked for personal information. They sent me a form to fill out but once they sent me the form I never herd back from them. Im not sure this is a real site but to everyone out there I recommend u dont give them any info about your self. I am calling the better business Bureau. And they only have 12 reviews starting in 2012 all the way till 2017. Something is not right

    ReplyDelete
  11. Which agency called you? Did you get their name, call back and other into? Calling the BBB wont help you....they are only a letter writing company and have no legal authority.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been working with ICR on a defaulted loan. I am in a garnish situation. The debt was 34k when they received it. I have paid 16,897 on the debt. When i called today for my balance remaining they said 43k....WHAT??? Where did my 17k go I paid them?? I have requested a statement and they wont return my phone calls. Please advise.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lynn, Are you still out there? Available to consult?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Much obliged to you for sharing such extraordinary data. It has help me in discovering more insight aboutEducation Loans For Students

    ReplyDelete
  15. Informative post.Thank you for sharing the information would like to know more on Education Loan.<a href="https://www.incred.com/education-loan.html/Education Loan</a>

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for providing such a beautiful piece of information.. I'm actually looking for a Educational Loan..Therefore it has helped me a lot... Can please elaborate more on Executive Mba In India

    ReplyDelete